Thursday, March 17, 2011

Getting into the Habit of Good Habits

Developing good habits is exactly what the main purpose of this project is. I have lots of habits, some good, some bad. It's a way of self-improvement, after all, don't we all need a bit of self improvement every now and again? I watched a video yesterday from the Prelinger Archives about poor Barbara. Barbara was a creature of bad habits. After watching this video, I couldn't help but to hear that condescending voice this morning as my alarm went off once again to rise and shine to make the family breakfast, "Unfortunately BARBARA you've got some bad habits. This is how your day started, it started WRONG! Your neighbor Helen, she's a creature of habit too, but she got up when the alarm went off because BARBARA, that what she had in mind when she SET IT". I think that's forever embedded in my head. Poor Barbara. Poor Me!



According to the Good Housekeeping 1946 October issue, here's a few BAD habits that can affect your good looks:

Yes, I have a couple of these bad habits too, especially the reading late at night, which is probably, like Barbara, the reason why I like to hit the snooze alarm too! My next goal will be to work on going to bed at a certain hour and waking up at a certain hour EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. According to a few sleep studies, if you get into the habit of waking up everyday at the same time, your body becomes it's own alarm clock, and you'll just naturally wake up at that hour. Well, one can hope, right? Waking up and not feeling tired would be great too.

In that same issue, they have a list of habits that you should do in the morning, and the evening. 

Morning Habits:
  • Get out of bed and drink one big glass of water
  • Brush teeth carefully
  • Wash your face gently with a clean washcloth, mild soap, and warm water. Splash on a cool toner and open your eyes. [They know me well, I do everything in the morning with my eyes closed]
  • Put on a bit of powder to take away the soap and water shine.
  • Put on some bright, pretty lipstick
  • Brush out all night time tangles from your hair, comb into place, pinning securely.
  • Take a last look.... are you impeccable from head to toe [always! lol!]
Now here are the evening habits:

  • Get out of your clothes and into the tub! Coat yourself throughly with a sudsy lather and don't spare the elbow grease. [seriously, i'm THAT dirty?!] Rinse well. Do face separately at the bathroom faucet.
  • Rub yourself dry so that you tingle all over and chest and back turn a healthy pink
  • Don't forget about deodorant under your arms!
  • Give your crowning glory a good swishing of the brush, dampen ends and pin hair up.
  • Brush teeth carefully
  • Down with a nice, big glass of water and off to bed!
As well they give weekly habits:

  • Shampoo and rinse hair six or seven times until it squeaks clean [no way, six or SEVEN times?!] Perhaps you might need a little bit of vinegar or lemon juice to bring out the "sunlit" luster. [um, honey, what's that vinegar smell?]
  • Clip toenails
  • File fingernails, push back cuticles, apply polish that matches your lipstick
  • De-fuzz legs and underarms.
  • Pluck scraggly eyebrows
  • Go over clothes and mend, clean, and brush as necessary.

 I'm not sure how I'm going to plan the next mission as it seems that good morning habits begin with good evening habits. Something to think about as I start to come to the end of my first mission. 

As far as the outcome of Mission: Breakfast, I think overall it's been a success. I have woken up and everyone has eaten a healthy breakfast. Sure there were a few grumbles along the way, but a few highlights as well. I've found our youngest daughter wants to eat "strawberries and wheat" [shredded wheat] nearly everyday and after she gets home from school. I do feel good about making sure they are eating well, although I'm still working out how to get the kids all at the table at once. Their night time routines will have to change too, to make for better morning routines. Overall, I think we are off to a great start and as we continue, the kinks will work themselves out. 

I think the key to developing habits is to take it slow and easy. They say habits form in 14 days... I think in my case it maybe longer. I'd love for the habits I form to come naturally.... I'm all for giving it my best shot!

How are your habits? Do you have any habits your trying to change or things your trying to incorporate into your daily schedule? 

Smiles,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment