Thursday, March 24, 2011

1940's Spring Fashion

March 24, 1940


So I've spent yesterday absolutely drooling over vintage fashions! Oh the hats, the shoes, the purses, the shoes, the undergarments, the shoes, the dresses, the shoes, the swim wear, and um, did I mention... the shoes?! Seriously, I don't know which category I like best! I think the key to wearing vintage fashion is understanding your style, or in my case, what I'd like my style to be! For example, I love... really do LOVE the 1950's bell style dresses, only one thing... I don't think I could get accustomed to wearing them out (at least I feel this way now). As a society, we've gotten so casual in our dress, that I think wearing a bell dress out in public, might make me look like a old prom queen... and not quite sure my kids could appreciate the stares! As I find myself slowly sinking into this project my mind may change, but I do think my style would fit easily into the 1940's. 


In 1940, the US fashion designers were following the trends of Paris. Since Paris designers were under fabric restrictions due to the war, the designs tended to be narrower, shorter, boxed shoulders, and synthetic fabrics were used, since all natural fabrics were used by the government. The US designers found themselves under fabric restrictions once the US joined the fight in 1941. They could no longer take cues from Paris for fashion ideas, since they had their own restrictions to work with. The American Fashion Industry flourished at this time, especially the sportswear industry. The only garments that did not have fabric restrictions were wedding garments and infant garments. In the 50's when bell dresses became popular, it was due to the new found freedoms given designers that the war was over and they could use however much fabric they deemed necessary! 


Knowing a bit of style history is key if your going to wear vintage...especially 40's vintage, because the times really did affect the clothing design! Besides, the key is to look classy and smart! That being said, let's check out fashion for Spring 1940!


Spring Fashion 1940


The look hasn't changed very much from the late 1930's. The skirts will just cover the knee and the shoulders will be emphasized. Angular lines are commonly used (and will be throughout the upcoming war years!) 


It's A Patriotic Spring! Our new clothes will shout "Hello America!" with red, white, and blues! Reds are warm, white's are crisp, and our blues are navy! Rayon prints are found in casual dresses. Classic styling includes a button down the front dress, the fly-front dress, hand knit yokes and sleeves, and big pockets. Evening sweaters and casual dresses are a must for this spring!


Here are some great spring '40 color combinations!


TROPICOLE ROSE paired with navy [I guess we'll all have to imagine what tropicole (yes, spelled right) rose looks like]


SCANDAL RED- warm, not to brilliant accented with blue.


GOLD DUST is a fresh color for dark blue


BALENCIAGA TAN- is a color you can wear with almost anything because it is neutral in tone.


MILITARY BLUE- is a cross between gray and french blue, a soft color to add to a very deep navy.


SPRING GREENS- includes scallions (green and white combination), artichoke green (soft gray green), Pepper green (goes well with pepper red), Cabbage green (yell0w-green)



A crisp, fresh, frosty white shirt adorned with lace, yokes, ruffles or even a bit of baby black ribbon will be a smart addition to any spring wardrobe!


As far as shoes are concerned, a woman should own at least five types of shoes: walking (sports shoe), "comfort", afternoon (dressy, high heeled), shopping (dressy, low-heeled), and party. You should have a heal height for every occasion and a color for every costume. Last but not least, every pair needs to be comfortable.


Spring '40 Makeup Fashion


You should spend at least 15 minutes on your makeup to get professional results.


Start with a clean face!


When applying powder foundations, don't skip eyes and neck like many women do. Don't leave smears near your ears and hairline.


No apple cheeks! Rouge should be blended in so well that there are no distinct lines and it should appear to just be a faint tint on the cheeks.


Stroke eyeshadow on in an upward manner. Shadows should be light and fresh.


Powder generously!! Pat your powder on with a puff, then using a brush, brush off any excess powder.


Next, attend to your eyebrows and lashes!


Vivid color on your lips will make a lovely focal point on your face. Use a lip liner to draw the outer line. Choosing a lipstick color can be quite an adventure! You can get anything from a soft, shy pink to a deep, rich pomegranate. 


If you wear black, white or gray try a brilliant, live red! 


If you wear yellow-green, orangy-reds, or brown, don't be afraid to try exotic coppery-rose shades that have a hint of orange.


When you wear blue (which is the #1 color choice this season) choose a blue-red lipstick, tender pink, or dahlia shades.


Here's an article on Spring Cleaning Your Face, A Beauty Routine: (click on the image to enlarge)



When creating, or adding to your wardrobe, it's nice to consider what the latest seasonal fashions and colors are, but more importantly, it's important to make sure that what your wearing flatters you. 

My Personal Spring Style


I am a self-taught seamstress, so fortunately, I can pull out the sewing machine and whip up a few spring dresses. Here is one of the patterns I plan on using this spring:


I love the design of the white/green one... I'd wear it as is, even with red rick-rack, and I never thought I'd wear rick rack... great way to add an accessory color! 


I also have some old mail-order sewing patterns that I plan on using. 


Building A Wardrobe


If you are just starting to build your vintage wardrobe (like me), here is an article from Glamour Daze blog which shares the details of a young girl's blossoming wardrobe. You can check out Glamour Daze blog which explains each of the types of dresses. (Original content--- 1927, Clothing for Girls by Elizabeth Todd). You should have:


2 felt hats
1 straw hat
1 winter coat
1 summer coat [yikes! I live in Hot-lanta, it gets 90+ here, do I really need a summer coat?!]


1 evening dress (rayon)
2 afternoon dresses (rayon)
2 street dresses (wool)
2 street dresses (rayon)
2 house dresses (cotton)


2 slips (rayon)
2 girdles
3 brassieres
3 panties (rayon)


2 pairs of street shoes- Oxfords
1 pair of dress shoes


1 bathrobe (cotton)
3 pajamas (cotton)
3 pairs of stockings (rayon)
1 pair of slippers (leather)
1 pair of galoshes
2 sets of gloves (leather)
1 handbag


Total cost for all of these items would be $112.00 or, in 2011, that would equal $1424.52


Now, remember, this list was for a young girl, a woman would have added to her costumes, especially if she follows the rule of purchasing items with classic lines instead of trendy items. Remember the other shoe article referred to a woman owning at minimum 5 pairs of shoes where this article only mentions 3! Well.... I was debating on what fashion category I liked best, and I think it *IS* shoes.... or maybe hats..... oh in either case, what fun it'll be building a wardrobe throughout the upcoming seasons!


Smiles!
~Angela







2 comments:

  1. I really need to redo my wordrobe but never know were to start. Tho I do wear the '50's bell dresses, my husband loves them and our children think they are fun. Since they are to young to worry about the looks I can get away with it.

    Lookinf forward to your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atomic Mum~ I wish I could get away with it, but perhaps it's more of a self consciousness I have? I think as I dive further into my project that this shyness will begin to fade and I will be able to explore making these fashions. I have some 50's patterns that I just love and they are on my to make list! I'm hoping to get out today to get some fabric for my first spring dress of the season!

    ReplyDelete