Monday, February 7, 2011

Sewing & Upcoming Project Goals...

I've been thinking a lot on my last post. (Great thoughts can come in the middle of the night!) and I've put together a list of objectives or goals that I'd like to accomplish throughout my project. Here's just a few:


  1. To plant a fruit and vegetable garden
  2. Refrain from buying new clothing for 1 year (sew, thrift, vintage shops, ok) My only exception to this rule is undergarments. I refuse to buy used.... ew.
  3. Volunteer more often.
  4. Build my homemaking skills with gradual lifelong routines.
  5. Teach my daughters (9 & 4) age appropriate basic sewing and cooking skills.
  6. Come up with a reasonable daily schedule that incorporates housekeeping, beauty routines, me time, volunteer time, party time, etc.
  7. Cook from vintage cookbooks and explore the variety
  8. Blog consistently on my progress
  9. Obtain a beauty regime routine
  10. Continue exploring, learning and researching about the 30s, 40's, 50's.
  11. Review vintage movies on Friday's
  12. Incorporate the positive aspects of vintage living into a modern lifestyle
  13. Learn how to do old Hollywood hairstyles
Previously, I blogged about how much my great-grandmother was a real inspiration to me. So today, I thought... what fun it would be to start my journey the same year that she was my age! So, since I'm going to turn 30-something this year, I decided to use that age... which makes it the round figure year of 1940!

So my research will begin in 1940.... and, not being perfect, my journey shall begin starting the 1st of March. I'm not exactly sure how long it will last... I'm hoping at least a year.

Of course to start my journey I'm going to need a few clothes... so I want to get busy sewing. The pattern I've chosen is from 1954, but I'll get closer to my time frame in my next design. This is just a simple short sleeve shirt:

I plan to make it like Version 3 with a bit shorter sleeve but with a full button front like Version 2. I figure since I'm using this as a general around the house work shirt, I can test the waters with my sewing skills again.

Here's a picture of my sewing room.... waiting to be used. (Sorry, the pic is a bit darker than I would like since it's a night shot, but hay... no one's perfect, right?! Besides, I usually find myself working here in the wee hours of the night anyway!) It's also a hard room to take a photo of because it's a loft, so I was sorta leaning over the steps... ekkk....


Here's a few funny clips from "I Love Lucy"... The first one is Lucy's attempt at sewing a dress in order to save money on the budget.... very, very funny!



I could really relate to this next video.... Lucy and Ethel decide to explore the past and try living like it's the 1900's! 



Sure makes me wish I had a "vintage friend" that lived close by.... it would be more fun with an Ethel around, LOL!

Hope you enjoyed the clips!

~Angela








No comments:

Post a Comment