Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Progress... Slow and Steady CAN win the race...

Wow, blogging? Yeah, I've been bad about it. Basically, there just hasn't been any time at all to do it with the Christmas holiday rush and then Atlanta has quite the winter weather with snow and ice! The kids have been out of school for the last month and frankly, driving me nuts, LOL! In the summer we always have outdoor activities to do, but in the winter, my warm blooded children just like to stay inside and nit-pick at each other. But alas, in the chaos I have been making progress towards my modern technicolor lifestyle. Slow and steady progress will win the race!

Beauty Progress

I finally got the haircut I've been promising myself! I took this picture of Betty Grable into my stylist:
I absolutely love this classic style! I didn't go blond, rather I went dark, so I'm excited to be able to play with it and see how close I can get to coming up with this amazing Victory Roll style. I've also been spending time watching some YouTube video's on 1940's hairstyles. They are really fun to watch and helpful too!

Beauty Routine's were very important in times past. I'm still trying to figure out when is the best time of day for me to implement my routine, and I think I'll be splitting it up between a quick A.M. face cleaning then makeup for the day and then doing the majority of the routine (rolling hair, facials, etc.) during the evening hours. One problem I think today's woman has is learning that it is OK to take time for yourself! We have become martyrs and want to serve everyone else and then there is nothing left for ourselves. My pastor did a wonderful presentation one time that sticks in my head. Using a pitcher of water poured water into various glasses...he said that if we give and give and give eventually we will have nothing left. We need to take time at the well and gather up more water. I know I still need to put this into practice. One day at a time.

I did find an awesome link to creating your own fabric hair rollers! I got a chance to make the rollers but haven't tried them out yet. I made mine in a cute light blue cherry pattern and red check print. The only problem I had with making these was the step where you gather the stitches after stuffing. I set the gather stitch too far apart and it didn't really want to gather an 1" of material, so be sure to set your gather stitch to a small setting, or do what I did and simply wrap and tie the ends off. It made for the same look, but I'm sure gathering would have been easier. Like I said, I haven't tried them out yet, but I'll let you know how it works out!

Throughout my vintage beauty research, I've come across a few products that I'm in the process of testing out. Here's what I'm using... have you used these products? How have they worked for you?

Jergen's Cold Cream- In my 50's magazines there were ads for Jergen's Cold Cream, and since it's a lot cheaper than Pond's, I thought I would try it. In the meantime, I did hit up Pond's and ask them for a coupon because I would like to try their product, however it is nearly double the price of Jergen's and you get half the amount?! The most effective way to use cold cream is to leave it on your face for at least 5 minutes or more. My evening routine will consist of putting on my cold cream before wrapping my hair and once my hair is complete, then remove the cream. 

Teeth Whitening- I've always wanted to test out those Crest Whitening Strips, but again with being close to $30 a box, I've just never found that spare $30 to "test" a product with. I plan on wearing red lipstick so my teeth have to be white. I've recently gone to the dentist and gotten a cleaning... which should always be step number one. Then my next step? Baking soda and Peroxide! Yep... cheap, and everyone says it works instantly! You simply take a bit of baking soda, add enough peroxide DILUTED WITH WATER to make a paste then brush your teeth with it making sure to brush for at least 2 minutes. I'm sure it taste horrible but I'll rinse well and use Listerine afterwards. Now, one warning I read was  that it can remove dental glue (yikes!) so I'll brush gently around 2 areas of my mouth. Next, don't do this more than once a month. Baking soda is an abrasive and can actually wear the enamel off your teeth, so for me, I'll do this once and then stick to buying the Baking Soda & Peroxide Toothpaste and use that for daily use. Colgate has a newsletter that you can sign up for and get special coupons online.

Home Front

While I was getting my hair done I was flipping through a magazine when I came across this ad for the new Desperate Housewives season:

Personally, I've never seen the show, but um.... I have seen that vacuum before! Eva Longoria is holding MY vacuum... a 1957 Kirby 517. I've spent the last month cleaning her up and replacing some standard parts like the belts, light, and then buffing the metal to shine just as pretty as this picture! Ah, my dark hair, red lips, and Kirby vacuum... now if I could snag that dress please Ms. Longoria.... 

I also had the chance to attend an estate auction in North Caroloina and I am the proud new owner of a few boxes of vintage patterns! Most are from the 60's, 70's and 80's but I did score a handful of 50's patterns. I'll be selling the others on etsy so if those are your era's, please check out my listings!

So, with that being said, I'm off to tackle some pin curls and face cream! ;) Now that life is normal again, I really hope to be posting a lot more! 

Smiles =)
Angela



No comments:

Post a Comment